Friday, September 16, 2016

ᒧᐦᑌᐤ ᒧᓴᓯᓂᕀ (mohtew mosasiniy) (Slug)

Some slug flower friends!:

cinamoncune.tumblr.com

I came across this book "Keeping Slug Woman Alive: A Holistic Approach to American Indian Texts" by Greg Sarris.  Now the book looks interesting, but the title alone really got me wondering about Slug Woman.  So I googled slug woman and aside from references to this book I got a warning about restricted content (we speculate slut woman?).  So we were left to wonder, who was Slug Woman?  Why are we so attracted to the teachings of the less icky relations?  Bear and wolf are cool but does anyone spend time with slug?  What would they teach us?

The family and I talked about this and came up with a couple of possible teachings of the slug
  1. If you try to be something else you will always be unhappy.  Slugs may not be cool, but there is honor in doing your job well.
  2. You are more resilient than you think (apparently they can go over razor blades and their slime protects them.)
  3. From Sophie - keep hydrated.
  4. You don't always need to rush.
  5. You don't need to be big to have an impact on others.
Do you have any teachings of the slug?  What would you add?  We had some teachings from a worm last year which you can read about here.

Then in the way of the world, the next day I read this article by Alanna Okun talking about some of the things she does to help with her anxiety, including a discussion about her pet snail and how it helps her to get outside of herself.  I have never really taken much time to think about slugs until this week.  I am going to try and take a little more time with my smaller family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment