Thursday, September 10, 2015

Imagining in new mediums

Wolf Steel Security door. Design by Gordon Dick and metal smith work by Adam Plater
I work in fabric a lot and I have been playing with lots of traditional figures in this medium.  This tends to be a smaller medium.   So, I was excited to see what people have been doing in metal and wood on a larger scale and outside of statuary.  I love the functionality of the door and the animals in the protector role. 

Closet doors.   Herons' Mating Dance Beneath the Full Moon.  Doors designed and carved by Herb Rice.:

Closet doors. Herons' Mating Dance Beneath the Full Moon. Doors designed and carved by Herb Rice. 


I love the extension into unexpected places in the home.  It is exciting to think on this scale and to see the insertion of these themes into these functional everyday pieces.  I have so many things I want to try with my house now.  Who is inspiring you right now?


Commissions - Diptych and Door Panel - Sabina Hill:

All below are also Sabina Hill



Thunderbird chairs:

Story - Press - Sabina Hill:

Commissions - Chilkat Bed - Whale and Raven - Sabina Hill:



No comments:

Post a Comment