Thursday, September 10, 2015

Gourd Bussiness

Gourd Necklace:
Arizona Gourds
I like gourds:  I remember my grandfather always had some in his room on the bookcases under the windows.  They fascinated us, how they dried to make music.  How they were delicate and hardy.  How they could last year over year.  There was something magical about the colour and shapes; all the variations and twists.

Here it is harder.  There is no drying grourds as the humidity takes them quickly to the compost pile:  This memory resonance came back when I saw this picture of jewlery made from gourds.  

This picture inspired me to try decorating some of the plastic gourds I purchased for making fascinators.  I would like to make these into a necklace.  I was quite happy with how this turned out, but in putting this post together I came across more gourd art and I realize that I have just begun.

Here are a few of my favorites from a quick review this morning.  It makes me glad that it is fall and there will be lots of opportunities to try some more of these ideas out.  Have you made anything with gourds?
gourd: gourd art by Tim and Donna Morris
From the Annual Gourd Festival

No comments:

Post a Comment