Monday, March 23, 2015

S's Moontime Dress

 I am now working on S's second dress for her first moon time.  This will be the one she puts on after her seclusion period.  She wanted it to be green and a tunic and she does not wear dresses right now.  I am doing lazy stick around the neck and have incorporated a piece from a broken necklace in to make the round shape.  I am happy with how this is coming a long.  I am so glad to have access to so many amazing inspirations.  In particular from the book "Identity by Design" by the Smithsonian, which I blogged about here.  I really like the dress below and how it handled the colour.  I am doing some painting in on the sleeves and I am debating getting some elk teeth to add as well.  I am trying to take my time and put my best into this one for her.
This is a Sioux (Oceti Sakowin—specific nation not specified) dress from ca. 1900, probably South Dakota. It’s a wool cloth dress decorated with dentalium shells, silver, ribbon, brass, beads, sequins, and quills.

No comments:

Post a Comment