Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Passing on the good stuff

We read The Powwow in our circle time this week.  We liked that this book had pictures of real kids.  I liked that it showed a simple powwow, as our first one was remembered mostly for the bouncy castle and trampoline.  I really liked that it showed the older girl passing on her knowledge of dancing and regalia on to the younger girl and highlighted that circle of learning.  It reminded me that not only am I teaching my girls about their culture, but that I am also teaching them to be part of the larger circles of communities and the responsibilities that they have to learn and teach as a member of these circles.  I thought this book was a nice reminder of this space.  What resources are inspiring you right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment