Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Miteh - heart

I draw during meetings.  It helps me to focus on the meeting and be aware of my participation.  Below is the heart I drew at my meeting yesterday.  I am thinking about hearts a bit.  My role as mother/heart.  My role as teacher/heart to this whole excerise of decolonilizing, naming and reclaiming.
 
Mostly I like this.  I like learning new things and sharing them with my children.  I like learning from them how they see the stories and apply them to their lives.  But sometimes I am tired of being the heart of the exercise.  It makes me wonder about the Elders too.  How much we need from them.  Are they tired or invigorated by these requests?  How do they refresh themselves?
I am trying to learn that balance.  I may have a lesson I want to share but I or the children are to tired.  I need to let go.  I need to capture those unexpected moments when we are there and people are ready to learn.  Late last night S came in and we had a talk about te'jean and why he sets his butt on fire in a certain story.  We were speculating about what the story medicine of that story is.  Was it the obvious moral of don't dance fight with chickens and set your butt on fire after it does not gaurd the chickens?  Was there a lot of trouble with this in older times?  It got silly and that was good.
 
How do you find that balance?

No comments:

Post a Comment