Monday, March 2, 2015

Changing perspectives

 I first saw this poster over ten years ago.  It didn't particularly strike me in any way.  I came across it again last week and had a totally different reaction.  Free land?  Wait a minute were these the immigrants brought to camp on my families land while the church screwed the original owners over?   After having already done this to the same families in Manitoba?  A part of our past sure, but building our future?    I tried to finish the John Ralston Saul book about aboriginals.  I could not do it.  I could not find it in me to care what some old white guy had to say about this stuff.  There are so many indian/metis writers to get it and I don't have to push myself to read them.  He seemed to be selling shame, but without the action.  Maybe the call to action came later, but I just couldn't keep caring.  He gave me no reason to listen to his voice above someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment