Friday, February 20, 2015

Realness

So you know realness?  We first came across this term watching RuPaul where the Drag Queens would compete for realness in various categories of womanlyness - things like Executive, Red Carpet, Mall Girl.  It is the step beyond weaing the physical manifestation of a woman but that performative nature that is true to the desired concept.  R likes the term and will describe things as "giving good realness".  Often said of tv babies.

So I was thinking about my musical pick for this week and I wanted to bring you some realness - Mackelmore - The Heist.  I love this albumn, because it is a story. 

I love Mackelmore because he writes songs about the profound and profane and enjoys the play of it and the lovely slipperyness of language.  I love this albumn because it describes my life and because it led to the best music video ever - one that is such a perfect cinematic journey to a place of hope it still gives me shivers.  I love how he works with young artists and talks about hard things.  I love that he is proud of his city and being Irish.  I love that he is candid about his drug abuse and his ongoing struggles with it.  I love that he worries about corporatism, working for the man, gay marriage and his role as a white rapper.

I love that he balances these realities and personal struggles with a spirit of hope.  I appreciate his authentic voice.

"Here we go back, this is the moment
Tonight is the night, we’ll fight till it’s over
So we put our hands up like the ceiling can’t hold us"

So don't let the ceiling hold you. 
The picture is my turtle on S's first moon time dress.   






No comments:

Post a Comment